Amazon: key figures & information to know (2022)
Amazon is the No. 1 e-commerce company in the world. Founded in 1994 by Jeff Bezos, it has become one of the largest market capitalizations and serves millions of customers every day.
We have gathered in this article all the key information and statistics on this e-commerce juggernaut.
What is Amazon’s turnover?
- 469.8 billion USD in sales worldwide in 2021.
- 9 billion euros in turnover in France in 2021.
- In 2021, Amazon’s worldwide revenue was therefore $53.6 million per hour and $893,645 per minute !
If you want to know more about Amazon’s business in France and around the world, visit our article on Amazon’s turnover. You will find all the turnover and market share data there.
How many products are for sale on Amazon?
This figure is difficult to estimate, as it is possible that Amazon does not know how many references are available on its website either. On the internet, various sources announce 12 million products sold by Amazon, plus 353 million sold on its marketplace , by third-party sellers.
While these numbers are probably underestimated, they give a good idea of the breadth of the assortment offered by Amazon. The largest product category would be books, which would represent nearly 75% of the references offered .
Amazon France website statistics
According to Similarweb, here are the statistics concerning the traffic of the Amazon.fr website:
- 6th most visited website in France ( 146th in the world).
- 159 million monthly visits.
- Average number of page views: 9 .
- Average duration of a visit: 7 minutes .
Amazon.com is the 12th most visited website in the world with 2.3 billion visits per month!
Penetration of Amazon in France
69% of French people say they have purchased on Amazon in the last 12 months. This is less than in other countries where Amazon is even more essential:
- Italy: 90%
- United States: 87%
- UK: 85%
- Germany: 83%
- Spain: 82%
- Canada: 79%
- France: 69%
What is the average age of Amazon customers in France?
Amazon reaches a young clientele, 52.3% of visitors to the site are between 18 and 34 years old . Seniors over 65 represent only 6.3% of visitors.
Why do customers prefer to buy on Amazon than on other e-commerce sites?
According to a survey conducted in 2019, free and fast delivery is the reason most often given for buying on Amazon (79% of respondents mention it as an argument).
Among the other reasons:
- The wide choice of products (69%)
- Membership in the Prime program (65%)
- The best prices (49%)
- Easy returns (44%)
Source: Statista (2019, USA)
The Amazon Employer
Number of Amazon employees?
Amazon employs nearly 1.5 million people worldwide, including 15,500 permanent employees in France. The group plans to hire 3,000 additional employees, bringing the total to 18,500 employees at the end of 2022 .
Who is the director of Amazon in France?
The managing director of Amazon France is Frédéric Duval . He joined Amazon in 2006 and has held the position since 2015.
Amazon Fulfillment Centers
How many Amazon fulfillment centers worldwide?
Amazon has nearly 175 distribution centers around the world , giant warehouses also called Fullfillment Centers where its products are stored.
How many Amazon distribution centers in France?
Amazon has 8 distribution centers in France . These warehouses are located at the following addresses:
- BVA1 – Jules Verne Business Park, 80440 Boves, France
- CDG7 – Portes de Senlis business park, 1 avenue Alain Boucher, Oise, 60452 Senlis, France
- LIL1 – 1 rue Amazon, 59553 Lauwin Planque, France
- LYS1 – 1 Rue Amazon – Val de Bourgogne Business Park ZAC – Distripole Chalon, 71100 Sevrey, France
- MRS1 – Building II ZAC Les Portes de Provence, 26200 Montelimar, France
- ORY1 – Pole 45, 1401 rue du Champ Rouge, 45770 Saran, France
- ORY4 – 20 avenue of the flight test center, 91220 Brétigny-sur-Orge, France
- ETZ2 – 1 rue de la Croix de Lorraine, 57685 Augny, France
These distribution centers are complemented by special warehouses and smaller sorting centers. In total, Amazon has 33 logistics establishments in France.
Compared to the 8 French centers, Amazon has 22 distribution centers in the United Kingdom and 22 in Germany.
Where is the largest Amazon warehouse in France?
The largest French Amazon distribution center is that of Augny (57) near Metz. Inaugurated on September 23, 2021, it is built on the former Frescaty air base and its total area is 182,000 m² spread over 4 levels.
When Amazon arrived in France?
If the e-commerce site Amazon.fr was registered for the first time in 2001, the first Amazon warehouse was that of Saran (45) , opened in 2007 .